[etni] private alternative schools...

  • From: Avi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 20:57:11 +0300

Dear Eytan,

You wrote suggesting that alternative private schools are a better solution for
today's children than regular schools.  You may be right, however, judging a
school according to the number of English books it has would not be relevant
for the Meitar school.  When I went to have a look at the school because my son
has difficulties coping in a regular class in a regular school I was quite
surprised to find a very limited selection of books there in English or Hebrew.

The staff are wonderful very committed and very interested in following the
wishes of the pupils.  Therefore at the school the kids choose whatever
"activity" they feel like for the day (can spend the whole day outside playing
in the yard or play cards all day) and the activities are more or less
spontaneously initiated by staff or parents who may or may not have teaching
degrees.  Nothing is compulsory as far as I know and most kids choose not to
continue at the school after grade 6 (how they manage to then fit into the
regular school system is beyond me).   When I visited I saw a lot of kids
playing, some of the kids were colouring, and 2 or 3 were doing an organized
activity: sewing a bag out of scraps of material.

Not the best choice of school for my son who has difficulty making choices and
would quite obviously prefer to play football/basketball all day or perhaps
help in the garden with the organic veggies.  I would not automatically assume
that because it is private, and because it is alternative that it is
better..... it is simply very, very different.

Yours,
Judi G.

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/