[etni] ministry analysis

  • From: "Aviva Shapiro" <alshapirose@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 19:02:46 +0200

I agree with what Maxine wrote. The grades last summer should have been much
higher than any other year. These kids were all 11th grade students whether
Native speakers or just very motivated, industrious pupils they were
definitely 'la creme de le creme" .

 I know that one claim that was made is that the magen grades shouldn't be
so high due to the students' projects as we weren't supposed to count this
grade as 30% yet. HOWEVER, weren't we supposed to put this very important
piece of class work (80%) into the magen. I know that my students spent
about 5 weeks working very diligently on their projects. You'd better
believe that this was a good chunk of their grade for the year.(including
presenting it to the class!)
Also, my class spent almost 2 months working on the play "All My Sons".
Again, class work!!! All these grades had to be part of their final grade.

Something seems to be quite strange in how the Ministry requested we
calculate the students 'magen' or Tion Shnati.  I agree that the statistics
and rationalization given us by the Ministry are flawed.

Again ,  I stand behind the high grades given my students and refuse to
agree that Moed A was a fair and valid test.
Aviva S.