[etni] fw: your student

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:49:00 +0200

From: Sharon Tzur - sharontzu5@xxxxxxx
Subject: your student

I was curious as to Jennifer's remark that her student " doesn't
appear to have the necessary dispensations to enable him to ... his essay"

As I have written to the list in the past, the pedagogical council of
the school is empowered to give all the dispensations except Mivchan
Mituam and Oral Testing, provided of course that the student has a valid
"ivchun". If I read your letter correctly, you student does have an ivchun
(you mention that he is dyslexic). Even if the ivchun does not
specifically state "hachtava laKalet" - if you, as his English teacher, feel
that this hatama is needed in order for the student to "show what he
knows" - and if you can document that need - (by bringing, for example,
an essay that the student wrote showing that it is impossible to read what
he writes), then there is no reason in the world that the pedagogical council
(you, the yoetset, the principal, and homeroom teacher), cannot determine
that the student have this dispensation (haKraa l'kaletet).- even if this
particular dispensation doesn't appear on the ivchun.

It's not too late for this summer. Although the forms have already gone
out, schools are allowed to submit corrections and additions at the very
beginning of May.

Yours,

Sharon Tzur

Visit the ETNI site - http://www.etni.org