[etni] fw: peculiar grammar-- here's a letter I sent to Ha'aretz

  • From: "Ask" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 10:16:51 +0200

From: Batya - shilohmuse@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: peculiar grammar-- here's a letter I sent to Ha'aretz

...I teach English in an Israeli high school, and I'll now be able to use
http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3301667,00.html as a "perfect example" of how incorrect verb usage changes the meaning of the text.

Why did your writer (or translator) write "The speakers were to include... " which means/implies, "The speakers were supposed to include, but didn't..." instead of having your verb in Past Simple, "The speakers included...?"
The grammar for a news article is Past Simple, unless you're "setting a scene" when something interrupts, like: "Everyone was waiting for a strong message, when suddenly they heard..." Past Progressive sets the scene.
Batya Medad
Shiloh, Israel
shilohmuse@xxxxxxxxx

Batya
http://shilohmusings.blogspot.com/ http://samizdatblogfree.blogspot.com/
http://me-ander.blogspot.com/
http://shilohpics.blogspot.com/

Write for "The Etni Rag" - http://www.etni.org/etni_rag.htm

Add yourself / Update your entry to "Who's Who on Etni"
http://www.boker.org.il/etni/whoswho.htm