[etni] flaming

  • From: "David Lloyd" <david@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 07:23:17 +0200

Hi all,

It has been asked in the past whether the ETNI list is censored.
I will relate to this point here.

The ETNI list is moderated. This means that all messages to the list must
first be approved through me. This is mostly done in order to prevent spam
and viruses from making their way through to the list. But it is also done
in order to prevent "flaming". Flaming is a personal attack on a person
(usually someone who has written a message to the list), rather than
relating to the issue itself.

I feel that there is no room for personal attacks on this list, and will do
everything to prevent such phenomena. There have been borderline messages in
the past, and there have been messages which clearly crossed the line -
which I didn't let through. I imagine, that as things heat up even more with
recent developments, that things will also heat up on the list. Before you
send a message, take a good look at your message and honestly ask yourself
if you have crossed that line. People who flame usually feel that they have
the right to say anything they want to, but are also usually the first to
complain when someone does the same thing to them.

Some of you may think that I am being unfair when I don't let your message
through to the list. I am willing to risk that in order to preserve the
integrity of the list.

David

** Etni homepage - www.etni.org **