[etni] Re: facebook group

  • From: "sbshai" <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mitzi1002001@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 15:28:46 +0300

Dear Mitzi et al,

There's a point in your message that everyone, regardless of his/her stance
on HOTS, can agree with -- i.e., that unrest does not serve us well, and
that's true for teachers as well as students.

As you acknowledege, there is "so much unrest" over the issue that it is is
difficult to imagine how it can be resolved "in the next week or so".  We
have been appealing to the Inspectorate (in a variety of ways about several
points related to HOTS) for more than a year now!  Most of us (those
speaking on behalf of their colleagues) have been trying to get our doubts
and questions resolved in an indisputedly respectful and professional
manner.  However, the feeling on the part of the overwhelming majority of
teachers who are not pro HOTS (at least, in its present form) is that this
is yet another program that is being forced on us regardless of our
reluctance about it.  (I am talking about experienced, reputable teachers
who love teaching literature -- and, contrary to the implication we've seen
too often on this forum -- these are dedicated educators who have following
previous dictates faithfully and then some; furthermore, as opposed to an
erroneous assumption, many of those not in favor of the program are HOTS
course graduates who have tried out at least some of the techniques in their
classrooms.)

I believe our frustration is what prompted Ruth to write.  But getting back
to your valid point about unrest, this should send a signal to those in
charge.  After all, we teachers may devote a great deal of effort to
designing lesson plans, but if these do not go over well with our students
(especially the most diligent ones), we have no choice but to rethink,
redesign and restructure!

Therefore, when a program is as controversial as this one (and there's no
denying that fact, regardless of exact numbers that are impossible to
obtain), the obvious solution is to let those who think it's the best thing
that's ever happened to the teaching of literature prove the doubters wrong.
I realize this is not a quick and easy solution, but I am willing to
elaborate and discuss this with anyone who cares to listen, as others are
too.

Wishing everyone a good start to the new year,
Batya