[etni] תשובה: [etni] Speaking English and HOTS

  • From: paula orenstein <paulao@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lu_mmm@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 10:37:16 +0300

I have to share with you a story about my English teacher (a long-long time ago
but still relevant) whose Hebrew was very poor, and that's to say the least.
She  as my first English teacher and her name was Judy and I remember her name
and her body language and the funny faces that she used to make and how she
used to activate her whole body to make sure that we  understand what she was
saying. In short, I don't know about the others but I loved her lessons . One
such lesson is especially memorable: she came in and introduced a new topic,
"school" and started to pronounce related words and sentences and she says
NOTEBOOK. One of the kids shouts I -NAAl-BOOK (which is a sort of an outdated
curse that was frequently used back then) and the teacher says and I quote:"No,
not NAALBOOK say NOTEBOOK." And of-course everyone laughed at her and she did
not even realize what was  so funny. I am telling you that old story to remind
you that funny language incidents happen everyday as y
ou may well know. In almost every essay there is at least one such
misrepresentation of the word. English, being what it is,  is predisposped to
such funny mistakes and it works both ways - if a teacher does not know the
native language of her/his students, many things are bound to  'get lost in
translation,