[etni] Re: etni Digest V9 #68

  • From: Bari Nirenberg <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: howdon@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:45:12 +0200

I missed the original question, so I don't know what it was referring to,
but your answer really doesn't answer the question at all.  You're talking
about language acquisition, which is not the same as language learning.
 Clearly, we acquire languages (the ones we hear at home) much easier than
we learn foreign languages, but this is not always possible or practical
(I'd say in most cases it's not).  I don't think there is a clear-cut answer
regarding the best age to start second language learning in school.  Some
will say that the younger, the better, but other experts will tell you that
a child should not start learning a foreign language until he has a really
good grasp of his native language.  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, studies
have shown that adults are actually better language learners than children
(though I believe that children find it easier to pick up an accent than
adults do).
I found an interesting article here:
http://www.language-learning-advisor.com/age-and-language-learning.html

<http://www.language-learning-advisor.com/age-and-language-learning.html>