[etni] Re: etni Digest V7 #258

  • From: norma barach <nech56@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:44:33 +0000

I agree with Judi G.  Having taught both elementary, jr. high and high school,
high school
is by far less exhausting and easier especially in terms of discipline.  In
addition to her
points I have often wondered why bagrut teachers who often stop teaching their
bagrut
classes by Pesach (and almost never  teach them in May or June) get extra money
in addition to their
salaries for marking bagruts.  I do understand getting paid extra for oral
testing if it is an
ADDITION  in time spent.

Everyone works hard each in different ways.  There are  pro and cons at each
level .  Bagrut

teachers have the advantage to get paid more just for teaching bagrut classes
(gmulim) and

have more time off from teaching.  Are all these complaints justified?  An
English teacher in

high school should teach more literature.

Norma

> Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:46:46 +0300
> From: Avi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [etni] HOTS and making myself unpopular!
>
> Dear fellow "etniers" and colleagues,
> I am going to make myself extremely unpopular by saying that I'm quite tired
> of hearing some of my colleagues complaining about the HOTS program. Its all
> rather "deja vu" as I heard the same thing about the projects before they
> were implemented.
>
> Perhaps there is something wrong with me but I love doing projects with my
> classes and I don't find they take up any more of my time and effort than
> other general English class work; and I am sure that I am carrying them out
> as requested. I am pretty confident that the same will happen with the HOTS
> and that the program will only enhance teaching in the English class - guide
> us as teachers to make some changes in our teaching approach and give us the
> opportunity to spend more time on literature without the kids complaining
> that its not worth learning as its "not on the bagrut". Yes, its not always
> easy to make changes, but making changes is the natural course of progress
> and it is ridiculous to dig ones heels in and want to stay still.
>
> I hear you all shouting about unfairness and money, but I don't hear any of
> you complaining about the "gmulim" we all get for teaching bagrut. I know
> plenty of 10th grade teachers, junior high, and elementary school teachers
> who work just as hard as I do, they spend just as much time preparing and
> marking as I do and yet not only do they NOT get "gmulim" as I do, they also
> do NOT get free time at the end of the year. I do not hear any of you
> appreciating the fact that with the bagrut getting earlier and earlier we are
> getting more and more free time - some of us simply don't teach at all after
> Pesach and yet we are all on full pay!! Yet, the junior-high teachers have to
> plough on and the elementary school teachers have to plough on longer than
> all of us. Has anyone talked about this on-going unfairness?
>
> And while we are talking about elementary school, what is this business of
> them having to work more hours for a "full-time" job? Is teaching younger
> children less "worthy" than teaching the older ones? Are the younger kids
> easier to teach? I honestly don't know, but for sure, I'd rather teach an
> interested 5 point bagrut class than a heterogenous bunch of 6th graders with
> short attention spans that need to be "entertained" and have their lessons
> split into short 10 minute activities.... that is surely hard work on the
> part of the teacher!! (Not to mention that a lot more of them have to run
> back and forward to and from different schools to make enough money and they
> tend to have more school compulsory unpaid duties and they don't usually have
> the luxury of working as part of a team).
>
> There are a lot of issues that I believe should be brought up with the
> [...]

Invite your mail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live Spaces.
It's easy!