[etni] Re: etni Digest V13 #72

  • From: ג'קי סלסקי <jaxslask@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 07:57:03 +0200

Meitzav
In my opinion based on past exams the meitzav met my expectations-
including vocabulary-although I do agree it is high level.
I too teach kids that the meitzav does not reflect their progress or
efforts. I spend hours building confidence and trying to teach them to
believe in themselves.  In my experience  my main complaint is the length
and the fact they can't use a dictionary. Even kids that are strong
learners find an hour and a half challenging. For my kids it is not
realistic. The length, the "pressure" of a test ,the 3 skills all at once
and not even the aid of a dictionary has many kids at a disadvantage before
they even begin. The minute they find the listening difficult they are
already disillusioned, frustrated or despondent. And 3/4 of a test still to
go!
And to be "fair" to statistics shiluv kids don't go into the average- but
take up more than the average amount if time,energy and teacher effort
during the year.
Do the results of this test really give a true picture if the field? I have
my doubt's.....
With pride I say most of our kids learn and progress. With pain I know not
enough- for themselves- not test results. But if we as teachers are
expected to deal with so many levels and abilities, and find alternate
modes of assessing, can we not ask for the same consideration?
Happy Pesach to all.
Jacqui Slasky

** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/