[etni] down memory lane

  • From: טיטלבאום טובה <teitel_j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 23:19:13 +0200

I feel slightly uncomfortable reading other people's positive memories of their
schooldays. I remember my school days with great affection but
my memories of Australian schools of the 50s are slightly different. We had no
homework in primary school. Teachers were expected to teach what the pupil had
to know within the framework of the school day. (This was still true in the 60s
when I became a teacher. If you gave homework it showed you were doing a poor
job of teaching). We started getting homework from 7th grade and up and NO we
did not do book reports. We had tests and exams and thrice a year report cards
and mid term summing up of our progress. There was no "moed B" and if you
failed you felt your world collapsing. The pressure to succeed was fierce Those
of us who survived the system and went on to tertiary studies were the problem
-free achievers. Most kids did not do Matric. You only had to pass in four
subjects. English was compulsory but the other subjects had to be studied in
depth and I do mean in depth. There were no further entrance exams to
universities and colleges. It was presumed if you survived the rigours of high
school including the matric demands you were prepared for tertiary studies.
There was absolutely no leeway for L.D pupils They dropped out of school by the
9th grade and became hugely successful businessmen. Check the list of the 100
wealthiest people in the community. You would be surprised to find how many of
them had dropped out of school including some from my class. So was the system
better than what we have today? No I don't think so. It left many highly
intelligent people feeling frustrated, excluded  and inferior.
Tova T.