[etni] Re: collocations

  • From: michele ben <benfam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: granny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,ETNI Discussion List <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 06:58:25 +0200

An excellent reference for collocations is "The Word Finder" by J.I. Rodale -
published by Rodale Books, Inc. Emmaus, Pensylvania.  The only drawback is that
the copyright is 1947 although it has be reprinted many times.  It has a
companion volume called "The Synonym Finder" which is similar to a thesaurus.
These tools are excellent for writing precisely.  I suppose that today you can
get these things on CD Rom but I prefer paper dictionaries and reference
books.  (And regular library card catalogues that no longer exist.)
Michele
--Thanks to Miriam Schlessinger, my translation teacher, for pointing out the
various permutations of a dictionary that exisit!