[etni] cheer up!

  • From: "sbshai" <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 09:58:23 +0300

Dear ETNI readers,
As the new school year is about to open, it is important for teachers
(especially those who are in a quandary about HOTS) to have a positive frame of
mind.  Hence, I'll share with  you a news item that has recently been called to
my attention -- one that brings a new meaning to a term that has been much
contested on this forum:

So you think you know what the acronym HOTS stands for, do you?  Well, broaden
your horizons (which is an admirable HOTS aim) by speaking to researchers at
Tel Aviv University.  They are building a laser tool dubbed Hologrraphic
Optical Tweezers, better known as HOTs.  (The use a lower case 's' here does
not affect our comparison!)

Unlike our HOTS, the intrinsic value of these is not subjected to debate among
the professionals who will use the tool to work with particles that are too
delicate  or small to be handled with existing laboratory instruments.
(Scientists control beams of light with these tweezers to enable them to watch
how antibiotics affect bacteria, for one thing.  Another potential
implementation of the device is related to computers of the future.)

Shall we tell the TU researchers that while our HOTS (as a new lit program for
secondary schools in Israel) are not as universally accepted or innovative as
theirs, we got there first?
On second thought, that could generate a possible rift between the educators
and scientists -- and we teachers don't want the appreciation and respect for
our profession to be tarnished!

The bottom line is, no matter where you stand, sit or lie regarding our HOTS
issue, there's another HOTs on the horizon that is sure to benefit us all.

Have a cool start to the new academic year.

Shabbat Shalom,
Batya