[etni] bagrut questions

  • From: abcalo abcalo <abcalo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:09:03 +0300

I heartily agree Janette - especially when native English teachers sometimes
have problems with the answers.  I have seen many students who have reading
comprehension skills do far better on the test than those whose English is
better but whose RC skills are not as good.  These later pupils suffer in
other subjects and it breaks my heart that although they are good in English
(almost as good as in their L1) they are being penalized once again for
their lack of RC skills.  Why?
   If we want them to be prepared for University as someone mentioned
recently, then perhaps translation from L1 to L2 and from L2 to L1 should be
introduced. Most academic articles at the BA level do NOT require the "nit
picking" that Janette refers to
As for intelligence.. we can believe in our intelligent pupils and many of
them indeed are far more intelligent in many other ways  but if they keep
seeing that they get a far lower mark than the rest of their friends, they
will sadly reach their own conclusions.   I have seen their frustration as
each time they are tripped up by yet another indirect and confusing American
question or open question .. and seen how their motivation begins to go down
as I prepare them for the unseens by doing various papers.  Enthusiasm goes
down, the light in their eyes fades and months/years of encouragement goes
out the window
Barbara

Just a tiny reminder David- and perhaps other pro -"let's make the English
Bagrut an intelligence test" that we are teaching English as a foreign

language....Nit-picking should not be a primary goal of an English bagrut
test for EFL

learners.
Janette Segal

David Hyatt wrote:

>.  As teachers we are trying to build

discerning, critical thinkers, good and responsible citizens and the medium
of language is among the best for achieving that goal.

test taking is not the sole measure of' intelligence, .. as teachers our
students as individuals they are not equivalent to their bagrut

grades.  To realize the maximum of their "intelligence" they have their
whole lives before them...