[etni] another side to yearly grades

  • From: טיטלבאום טובה <teitel_j@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 10:57:42 +0300

As a remedial English teacher, with ,many years of experience behind me, let me
show another side to the yearly grades issue. I teach in Haifa and have
students from the surrounding moshavim so this is not about one particular
school or one particular teacher.
One of the pupils I am presently working with ( four point Yud Aleph) has NEVER
in the five years I have taught him, been presented with a literary text
whether a poem or a story. Even the stories in the text book are usually
skipped. This class has been doing unseens from Junior High, working their way
through Unseens 1,  More Unseens etc. Occasionally they learnt some grammar and
then they were perhaps  given a test, but the emphasis has been unseens,
unseens unseens. Another child from another school received not one extra mark
on her yearly grade - not for doing her homework, not for attendance, not for
completing her project. Her yearly mark was based on an average of her tests
which, let me add, was also based entirely on unseens.
I presume that the teachers who write to Etni are the caring, fair and
considerate educators, but there are hundreds of others out there who are not.
I'm not even going to go into the matter that not all schools prepare exams on
tapes/ discs, of refusing to test orally because, as one teacher told me, "I
don't do anything I don't get paid for." The parents of these kids do not
complain. As one mother said to me "I have two more kids that have to go to
that school. I can't fight the teacher  about every issue."
Tova T.

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal