[etni] a new article by Krashen - and its possible implications

  • From: Lev Abramov <lev.abramov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:02:00 +0300

Dear all -
I've just come across a new article by Prof. Stephen Krashen, called
"Free Voluntary reading: New Research, Applications, and Controversies"
(accessible online
athttp://www.sdkrashen.com/articles/singapore/all.html ) and thought it
to be enlightening enough for the ETNI community, so decided to share.

While at it, you will certainly measure Krashen's conclusions against
the currently accepted practice of "forced recreational reading"
required by the school EFL curriculum.

I do not want to express any opinion before you've read the article;
however, it would be desirable to discuss the issue after you've read
it. A lot has already been written on ETNI about it; the article may
help change the perspective based on some hard evidence.

Best -

Lev

Lev Abramov
The Schiffman Institute