[etni] What the kids say about HOTS and literature

  • From: aviva shapiro <shapiroaviva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2010 08:58:46 +0300

Dear all,
I have written a short article of my experience over two years  with my yud
aleph ( 11th graders) and the literature  log .  It is posted on the front
page of ETNI under "Different Perspectives ". BUT the most important part of
it , are the quotes from my pupils which I would hope will convince some of
you that it's a good idea. !!!  My students just handed in their final
literature log and this is what a few of them wrote in their final
reflections ( which were NOT mandatory..) .
Aviva
*     **?Looking back at everything now, I see how much I have actually
gained. I was shocked to see how much work I've gone through and seeing
everything in a neat, organized file really did open my eyes to see the
importance of every piece of work that I have done.?  ?I think I have
learned more this year in English than I have in any other subject and not
only did my skills improve and my vocabulary get enriched but I've gotten to
learn every day skills that will help me out in life through the HOTS and
the LOTS.?   I really enjoyed learning everything we've done and I would
definitely do it all over again ? Shelly (girl) *

*      ?Over all when I look back and my English file and I see all my work
organized neatly and I realize and understand that the past two years of my
English studies have helped me in many different ways other than just in
academic ways. I have learned skills which will help me later on in life. I
appreciate all my work I have done. ? Leah (girl)*

*    ? Now that I have done the project I feel that it took my English to a
whole new level. I think that I accomplished allot this year and I know that
I will remember my 11th grade in English for the best. ?  Gavriel (boy)*

*         ? Since  I heard that our "F" bagrut will be a Log I was very
happy. First of all, I found it more interesting than doing another test,
but also, learning all the poems, stories and HOTS actually made me think
better in English, which I think is great.?  Shvo (girl)*

    *?  In my opinion this kind of Log must be done. I had a wonderful time
doing it and I think I learned a lot of new things and more important about
myself that I succeeded although I had difficulties along the way.?
Shaked  (boy)
       *

*?I have enjoyed learning English this way. I have improved my vocabulary
and grammar, but more importantly- my general knowledge. I believe
literature exposes you to another point of view and helps you become a
better person. I think English should be always taught like this!? Gal
(girl) *

*      ?For me this LOG was very important because the process didn?t make
me nervous at all, and I think it affected my grade because I was more
relaxed. Also, it was very enjoyable. It was learning in a different way in
some parts in the different activities. Plus, I think I gained, learned, and
improved my English much more and in more ways than I would have if we were
doing the regular module F.  ? Inbar (boy)*

"It must be remembered that the purpose of education is not to fill the
minds of students with facts?it is to teach them to think.?
Robert M. Hutchins

Aviva Shapiro- 052-4501830

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/