[etni] Re: What did the exam really test?

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <golomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 22:53:50 +0200

I assume you're referring to the old-format 5-point exam.  Since this exam
is nearing its death, I don't think we need to be too concerned with the
mini-cloze and other problematic aspects which will not be included on the
new exams.

I wasn't particularly enthused by the composition topics, but my students
didn't have a problem with them.

As for the tone question, I actually like these kinds of questions -- my
only problem with this one was the same problem you describe, that I didn't
think any of the words accurately described the tone of the text.

Bari