[etni] Using technology to help teach English

  • From: Rosalind Barland <rbarland@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:45:56 -0500

You might ned to adapt this, but the idea seems wonderful to me.
http://www.betterthanworksheets.com/

http://www.poplit.net/

This booklet recommends using pop culture, multi-media, art & music to
engage reluctant readers (especially boys)?to which I thought, why not put
all of *that* on a website? Perhaps as an all in one, paperless, easy to
access literacy workstation for the regular classroom?

So I created my ?Pop Lit? literacy workstation/website for my Gr. 2 and 3
teachers to try this coming school year.  Check out http://www.poplit.net/

While it targets low/disengaged students (the vast majority of whom are
boys), it is also meant for all students, male and female. It can be used as
a literacy workstation?or as a whole class lesson on the Smartboard or via
the laptop cart.

Tasks are based on typical literacy activities, such as:

   - Retell/Relate/Reflect
   - Who/What/But/So
   - Beginning/Middle End
   - Setting/Character/Plot
   - Opinions, persuasive writing, 'book' reviews
   - Making Predictions
   - Description/adjectives/adverbs
   - Story writing

...and more!  However, instead of books, students are using 'a broad range
of narratives' (Me Read? No Way pg 11)  such as music videos and cartoons.
--
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy
enough people to make it worth the effort.