[etni] The majority?

  • From: David Cactus <davidcactus01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2010 09:26:44 +0200

I was also at the ETAI conference. It seemed to me that the majority
was either against the HOTS program as it is now or that opinion was
split. In any event, it was CERTAINLY not only three, four or five
people who were against. Both sides were clearly for teaching
literature. The fact that so many teachers and coordinators have
voiced reservations should indicate that changes should be made top
the program. I for one don't think that we should be ashamed to demand
proper reimbursement for the extra work which will be required to
implement the new program. I have decided to take the course to see
what all the controversy was about.
The course is enjoyable. However, that does not mean that changes
should not be made to the program.

I also believe there is a clear risk that teachers who do the log will
be subject to pressures from their administrations to inflate the
grade. The teachers who attend the ETAI conferences are certainly the
most dedicated professionals. My fear is that other less dedicated
teachers will simply fill out logs for work which was not done
properly.This is what happened with the projects. On paper this was a
good idea. However, I have lost count of the number of projects I
personally have seen in other schools which were simple copy and paste
jobs.

All the best,
David Curiel