[etni] Re: Teachers as Proctors

  • From: "Bari Nirenberg" <nirenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <golomb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:47:49 +0200

> I would like to clarify certain points about my suggestion that
> teachers proctor exams.  First of all, all English teachers have
> stopped teaching 12th grade as of yesterday (and probably quite a
> while before).  There is still a month left until the end of the
> school year and teachers benefit from many free hours.
> Therefore, no teacher should gripe about having to return some of
> those hours, even if they are in the afternoon.

"Gripe"??  I wasn't "griping".  I was making the exact same points that
others made later on.  First of all, many of my "free" hours are now being
spent proctoring matkonet exams.  Second, I "return" hours all year long.
Every teacher at our school works one unpaid hour a week (called the
"dialogue hour" -- we meet with students or parents during that hour, give
makeup exams, oral exams, etc.).  I just sat down and counted all the
dialogue hours we've had from the beginning of the year until now.  There
were 33.  I think I've returned my share of hours.  And, of course, with all
the LD kids we now teach, one hour a week isn't enough to test them.  I
spend my free periods doing that (for no pay).  I also spend the occasional
free period meeting with students who can't come during the dialogue hour.
And then there were the kids who needed to be tested orally for the matkonot
(no longer only 12th graders -- we now have 10th and 11th graders taking
exams, as well).  Our 12th grade summer matkonet was on my day off (most of
our 12th graders took the winter exam, but I had a few doing the summer
exam, as well).  My English speakers took their exam that day, too.  Nobody
paid me to be in school, but I was there (and I'd like to say it was the
only time this year that I was in school on my day off, but that's simply
not true).  And, apart from the 25 minutes spent testing one kid orally,
nobody paid me to sit at school from 2:30 until 7:15 yesterday (that's a
total of over 6 teaching hours, by the way), but I was there.  And today,
despite the strike, a group of us were back in school to grade the oral
exams.  I willingly put in all of these extra hours (and more) and I resent
being told that I am "griping".

Bari