[etni] Re: Spelling?

  • From: Rivka Lewenstein <rlewen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 04:45:40 -0700 (PDT)

Bari wrote:
I think it's really sad that so many 11th and 12th graders (most of
whom are supposed to be among our best students -- they're doing 5
points in English) lack basic writing skills.  I don't know if there's
something wrong with the Israeli school system (all of its sectors) or
if this is a universal problem. <SNIP>

I teach Russian students, and while there are some who make horrendous spelling
mistakes, their writing skills are MUCH better than the writing skills of my
Israeli students on a comparable level. And this is despite (or some would say
because of) the fact that in Russia the main emphasis is on grammar,
translation, and memorization, with very little (or no) stress on communicative
activities. Perhaps the Russian-born teachers on this list can share some
secrets with the rest of us...

All the best,
Rivka

Discover Yahoo!
 Use Yahoo! to plan a weekend, have fun online & more. Check it out!