[etni] School conditions

  • From: michele ben <benfam@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI Discussion List <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:14:15 +0300

**** If I had the chance to do it all over again. - www.etni.org ****

Here's a comment / question from "Works4Me" bulletin put out
by the National Education Association in the US.  Kids and
teachers in Scarsdale seem to have great conditions, but
teachers and pupils in other places seem to work under
conditions that many of us encounter...
I personally do not work under such terrible conditions
since we have an administratin that tries to  support
teachers in dealing with discipline problems.

2) Questions from Colleagues:
Question: From (Jeta999@xxxxxxx):
"I began teaching in high school in an urban district this
year. It feels as if the inmates are running the asylum.
Profanity is tolerated, rampant and loud. Students assault
teachers verbally regularly and are allowed to remain in
classes. Students steal, cheat, lie and vandalize. They use
cell phones in class and keep earphones to iPods dangling
from their ears. Teachers are given poor evaluations if they
write up discipline referrals. The implication is that they
somehow the teacher caused it. We are asked to explain why
the student speaks to you this way or does this or that.
Many teachers don't write up referrals or express concerns.
They let whatever happens happen and don't bother to try to
teach, because they are given better evaluations.

"Inclusion means surviving the madness of having 12 or more
students with real emotional difficulties and learning
disabilities within a class of 25 with no ! support. I do
phone parents and get some individual support sometimes, but
the extreme dysfunction in the school reinforces the
students' behavior. Parents say all the kids do this or
that. I need advice in dealing with this as an individual in
a classroom. I deal with a lot of equipment that students
break and steal. As much as I set rules carefully and take a
step-by-step approach, acting as positive and as firmly as I
can, it just isn't working. How do others deal with
inclusion situations like this? Is there any solution? I am
open to any suggestions."

Answer: (?)

Michele