[etni] Response to Too HOTS to Handle?

  • From: "Adele P. Raemer " <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:48:57 +0300

Dear All,

Dr. Debbie Lifschitz (the National Coordinator for the Literature Program)
asked me to forward her feedback. Here it is:

Adele

Too HOT to Handle?

At first glance one would like to say that if learners can't do it in their
native language how can they be expected to do it in L2 or L3 or L4 as the
case may be? But that would be taking the consequences and projecting one's
assumptions on them. That is, the oft heard argument that we shouldn't teach
HOTS in English because learners first need to learn it in L1, and if they
can't do it in L1 how can we expect them to do it in another language.

In reality, the issues are completely different: First as English teachers
must realize, the canard of "L1 first", is in fact being done. In other
words one of the main arguments of English teachers resistant to the program
falls by the way-side if students are already doing the same HOTS in their
L1, as the program in "havana  ve'haba'a"  proves.

Second, their is NO neutral explicit teaching of HOTS in the 'Lashon"
program and no application to non-discipline areas as we require in English.
Again, the failure of the students in Hebrew is due precisely to the
improper methodology of application to a discipline and therefore is
question specific rather than acquiring a non-specific skill.

To explain this more clearly let me give a non-HOTS example. In math we
often see that kids can solve an exercise with given numbers. However, when
they are given text problems they are incapable of setting up the
information in mathematical symbols. They do not understand (or recognize)
the THINKING behind the technical skill acquired, and therefore can not, on
their own, APPLY the necessary SKILL.

The same is true of reading and manipulating information from a text through
inferencing or through other thinking skills. The Thinking skill needs to be
taught as a discrete skill and only then applied to the material at hand.
TRUE-- some kids get there on their own. Many do not. Not in Math, not in
reading comp, not in History, not in LASHON!

What the results of the Lashon test prove is that "we've been asking those
questions all the time" does not guarantee learning the skill. One of our
goals is to teach the skills so that they can answer all questions. And yes,
it can and is being done in English. But doing is believing.

Laugh and the world laughs with you, snore and you sleep alone.

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal