[etni] Remembering pre-Modular Bagrut exams

  • From: James Backer <drjamesbacker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 02:33:16 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings,
all!
In the
Pre-NBA exams there were plenty of arguments over poorly written questions with
more than one possible answer. Moreover, in open answers some kids would
inevitably
find a reasonable answer not thought of by the exam makers.
Nevertheless,
Ruthi’s harking back to pre-Modular exams does make a lot of sense. In those
days, many (most?) schools taught *English* until the 11th grade and
then taught English and exam-taking skills for the truncated 12th grade. In the
middle of the 12th grade, the students and teachers then
went into “exam mode” and usually survived the Bagrut.
Since the
switch to the Module Bagrut system, we seem to be in constant “exam mode” from
the 10th grade onwards. We are frequently (constantly?) teaching to
the test, which is only a small sub-set of what English is, or what it should
be.
The amount
of administrative work to prepare the matkonot and the actual exams, with all
the variations for accommodations, is the same for one smaller module as it is
for one big exam. That means we are working at least three times as hard for a
3-point, 4-point, or 5-point Bagrut. (With popular moed bets, we are actually
working up to six times the amount.) It means that we are teaching to the test
for much longer periods, even if we want to teach English as well.
This is the
case, despite (or perhaps because) over-all cuts in the number of English hours
per week and in some
cases, the number of minutes in a class “hour.”  In addition, we are facing
increasingly time-consuming
demands from the MOE (projects, HOTS, etc.) that bring in no monetary
remuneration
for our extra work hours.
I know it
would be foolish to blame the decreasing English abilities of our high school
graduates any one particular factor; nevertheless, I would suggest that we
examine the advantages and disadvantages of the modular exam system now that we
have had a few years of experience with it.
Jimmy
-----