[etni] NON English teaching - need advice about digital cameras....can you help?

  • From: Judi Granit <judiavi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ETNI <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 11:30:15 +0200

Dear all,

Sorry this is not English teaching related and please ignore it if you want.  I
just know that there are a few photography experts out there and I'm so
pathetic about this stuff and my husband, bless him, is even more pathetic than
I am (can't even turn the computer on!).

I have decided to splash out and buy myself a digital camera.  Well, being the
non-technical type of person that I am, I have absolutely no idea of what to
buy.  I figured that my best bet was to ask you for your personel
recommendations and advise.  Once I figure out what kind of camera (make and
style) then I can start looking for the best price.

So far, I think I understand that I should go for something with between 3 - 5
megapixels.  That I should get a "stills" camera with or without video function
but not a video camera with "stills" ability.

I'm not sure about the importance of getting something super compact (up to now
I've managed fine with my biggesh non-digital thing) and there is the issue of
batteries which I think is important.  For example, my sister bought a Canon
IX..something just because there is an internal battery that you just recharge
rather than buying and recharging smaller batteries all the time.

I would be so grateful if you could help me out here.   Just letting me know
what kind of camera you have and whether you recommend it or have any
misgivings about it would really help me.

I will try and put together all the replies I get and forward them on to you if
you are interested.

Thanks so much for your help......I hate feeling so "ignorant" and in the dark
when I have to go buy something that costs so much money and any advice that
floats on the internet is always suspect in my eyes as you never know "who" is
behind it.   Getting solid advice from people I know is always the best way.

My very best wishes to you all,
Judi Granit