[etni] Re: Movies about Teaching

  • From: naomi epstein <naomiepstein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni freelists <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, jophrabo@xxxxxxxxx, etni <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 05:19:33 +0000 (GMT)

I watched the film Joe describes below, "The Water is Wide" about 25 years ago,
when I had just entered the university. I watched it with my brother, who is 8
years older than I and had a lot more life experience than I ( who had gone
directly from high-school to the army and then immediatly to the university).
We had a very interesting discussion after the movie which I have never
forgotten.
In the movie, this amazing teacher gets fired because he shocked the people in
charge too much, he pushed the envelope too far. My brother said that the
teacher had failed his students by getting fired and leaving them. By not doing
everything that he would have wanted to do and changing things slowly, in
smaller steps, he would have been able to stay with them and have a much
larger, more meaningful impact on their lives.
Thanks for reminding me of the name of this film - THAT, I could not remember!

naomi epstein

--- On Sat, 26/9/09, joseph barnett <jophrabo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

"The Water is Wide" (a 2006 Hallmark TV film) based on the autobiographical
novel by Pat Conroy was a surprising hit among trainee teachers in all
departments, who identified with the human message of the story.It depicts the
way in which a young teacher faces the challenge of teaching illiterate young
African-American children in the late 1960s on a small island off the coast of
South Carolina. These kids have previously been brutally treated by their black
teacher/principal and knew nothing of the world around them, including the
country they lived in and the name of the ocean to the east. The young teacher
finds in himself enough insight and imagination to find potential in these
children and make them aware of the world, its history, geography and culture.
By simply caring and spreading his own enthusiasm he gets them interested in
acquiring general knowledge, e.g. recognising Beethoven symphonies.

Any comments welcome.

Joe Barnett