[etni] Miracle on 55th Street

  • From: "Tom Balazs" <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI Post Message" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 20:49:52 +0200

Here's a great story I first heard on National Public Radio

Miracle on 55th Street

On a December day in 1985, my mother and I finally parted. Two Jewish refugees
from Iran, we had arrived in the United States six months earlier and for fear
of getting lost in New York, we had gone everywhere together. And now, she had
to go home to Brooklyn to prepare the holiday dinner, while I had to stay for a
job interview in the city.

I remember being so worried that I deposited a token, passed the stiles and put
her on a Brooklyn bound B. Speaking like the mother to my mother, I told her to
stay on till 55th Street. "Remember Mother: 55th Street is your stop!" I kept
repeating to her, exactly the way she had once told me not to forget to brush.
And during those last seconds, when the train doors were still open, I gave
further instructions: "If you can't hear the announcements, just go to the
conductor."

" Stand clear of the closing doors!" And what nineteen years had not done, the
shutting of the subway doors did at last --my mother and I separated. She waved
and tried to smile reassuringly as her train took off. I stood wondering, her
face still in sight, if I had done the right thing to let her go on her own,
when a voice on the intercom announced: This B train is now running on the R
Line. Attention: the Brooklyn bound B will be running on the R Queens line ...

   full text http://www.royahakakian.com/articles/mriacle_on_55_street.html

It has removed 5684 spam emails to date.
Try www.SPAMfighter.dk for free now!