[etni] Re: Mini - ETAI Conference in Ma?alot-Tarshicha

  • From: <judyastary@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: segalil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 12:27:14 -0700 (PDT)

Amy's comments on yesterday's ETAI Mini conference in Maalot said it all! Two
of my colleagues and I attended after a days work and an hour and half's
journey from Afula-Lower Galilee region and none of us was disappointed. It was
well worth the trip. Hats off to Fran and co who did a first rate job, to
Penny, Elisheva, Marcia who were first rate and everyone else who contributed
their time and expertise to make for such a worthwhile experience. May we grow
professionally with many more such conferences.
  Shana Tova and Hag Sameach.
  Judy

Amy <segalil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
            The ETAI mini conference in Ma'alot Tarshicha on September 4th was
excellent -- kudus and tremendous thanks to all who organized and presented
there!
  I'd considered not attending, as I was knackered after a day at school and
troubled about preparations for the following day, but those few hours were so
very worthwhile that I can only be thrilled that I was present.
  Elisheva Barkan's presentation on reading was both fascinating and thought
provoking.  Dr. Barkan is most impressive in her ability to condense copious
amounts of research into a clear and concise 45 minute lecture ? and field
questions to boot!
  The workshop I attended (Literature Circles) was an enjoyable hands on
experience and provided both a model to imitate and food for thought for
implementing similar ideas in the classroom.
  Penny Ur's presentation caused me to reflect on why I choose the type of
activities I do, and allowed teachers to interact and share ideas.  The day was
a perfect balance of theoretical and practical.
  Eric Cohen and UPP were there to show their wares.  Sue and Fran greeted us
all with warmth and enthusiasm and provided explicit driving directions for
dummies, so I was only a wee bit late..
  It was a much needed shot-in the-arm for me to get a chance to share an
afternoon with other English teachers. I enjoyed some mini reunions with
friends and acquaintances I hadn't seen for awhile.  Interacting with other
teachers, hearing what others had to say, and just seeing how many teachers
felt a need to participate in this mini conference made me feel proud to be
part of the professional community of English teachers in Israel.
  My colleagues and I are very grateful that ETAI took the initiative to
provide the meeting for those of us out here in the periphery.  We hope this
was just the first and there will be many more to come.
  Amy

Judith Astary