[etni] Meitzav (yet again)

  • From: "David Graniewitz" <graniewitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 23:37:54 +0300

Well, well, I seem to have set the cat amongst the pigeons with my comments
on the Meitzav exam, to which I did not lend a hand today in either of the
schools in which I work where it was meant to be taking place. (In one it
was cancelled, I have yet to find out what happened in the other.)

From the reactions to my posting (including those that were sent to me
personally and not to ETNI) it would seem that my views represent the
majority of English teachers who subscribe to this list in this regard.  I
would not be so arrogant as to state that this is representative of the
entire population of English teachers, but as we say in Hebrew "zeh omer
darsheini."

I expect that the Inspectorate could claim that if the exams do not yield
true results then it is possible to blame teachers for creating a certain
"Pygmalion Effect" by putting the mockers on the exam in the first place.
(Avi Tzur hinted at this in his post.)

The fact of the matter is that I have yet to meet any colleague here in
Jerusalem who has a positive word to say about these exams. I admit that I
was asked to take part in the Hishtalmut but was unable to do so because of
work commitments. However, I did speak at length with teachers who went and
none came back inspired by the whole thing. Their attitude seemed to be
"We've been told to do it, so let's get it over with the minimum amount of
fuss." The truth is that had the Irgun not placed sanctions against it, I
would have performed my own duties obediently and to the best of my
abilities in spite of my own opinions with regard to this matter. These I
reserve for this list and the more than occasional whinge in the teachers'
room.

If, as Mr. Tzur would have us believe, these exams are actually worthwhile,
then the Ministry only has itself to blame for not having "sold" us the
package in a more palatable fashion. I do not wish to regurgitate the
pertinent points that my colleagues have made on this list or to add more of
my own. All I would ask at this juncture is that the Ministry pays heed to
what teachers have to say on this matter. And that teachers will not feel
afraid to make their views known.

I realise that my anti-Ministerial ramblings have probably signed the death
warrant on any hopes I might have had for advancement in my career, but I do
have my professional integrity to think of.

Keep well.

David