[etni] Re: MORE ABOUT-I'm asking: what REAL language acquisition can take place in such huge groups?

  • From: Sandra Yosef-Hassidim <hassidim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxx, Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 08:18:24 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not so sure if 22 out of 35 is such a bad score given the circumstances. I
am a high school teacher and  have no experience in teaching technical reading,
but it seems like a mission impossible to teach 35 children how to read a
foreign language. If 22 still manage to learn how to read, wow-that surprises
me. I suspect that most of those kids come with some level of prior
knowledge-either from home teaching (pc games or parents) or private teaching.
Personally, I find it quite impossible to teach groups of 35 high school kids.
And I'm considered an experienced, well-appreciated teacher at my school. It
depends, of course, on one's definition of teaching or learning.  Let's be
honest: there can't be any real language acquisition in such huge groups. It's
a farce.
Sandra

From: Dr. Rachel Segev-Miller - aki_seg@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: MORE ABOUT

MY TEXT IN CAPS BELOW FOR EASE OF REFERENCE