[etni] Literature for the LOG

  • From: evelyn <efs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 09:07:12 +0300

I have read and reread the criteria for acceptance to the literature list of
approved texts.  I still don’t understand the rationale for omitting texts from
the list.  When I submitted The Chocolate War by Cormier, I was told that it
wasn’t approved because it was a piece of young adult literature.  Of course,
The Giver is on the list which is not only a young adult piece of lit but won
the Newbery Prize for literature.  A story like “Flight” is not approved for 5
pointers even though the language and the themes are more than appropriate for
the level.  Perhaps nothing in a previously printed textbook is appropriate for
5 pointers? Oh, that isn’t the case, I see, because something like “The
Moustache” is on the list for 5 pointers (great writing, by the way).  However,
“Raymond’s Run”, “The Soft Voice of the Serpent”, and “Miss Brill”- to name
only a few examples of strong writing, thought-provoking authors, and themes
worth contemplating and discussing- are not permitted to be taught for the log
for 5 pointers.
How can one include “Introduction to Poetry” and omit “How to Eat a Poem”?
Again, I have checked the criteria and can’t find a logical explanation for
certain omissions or acceptances.  I understand the text approval list is being
revamped.  Perhaps the new list will reflect a different approach toward
acceptable texts?  I would, by the way, be happy to assist on the committee
making the choices (I don’t want you to think that I am simply complaining
without offering any help with the process).

Evelyn Solomonov
** ETNI Blog and Poll
   http://ask-etni.blogspot.co.il/
** Etni homepage - http://www.etni.org