[etni] Re: Listening comprehension

  • From: "Adele Raemer and Laurie Levy" <raemer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <linsu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 07:54:13 +0200

We ran into the same problem this week, when we gave a test according to the
E module, with the allotted time.  First of all, I ALWAYS tell my kids to
read the questions for thelistening comprehension and be sure they
understand EVERY word before the time comes to listen to the text. I even
tell them to try and guess the answers (mark their guesses lightly next to
the question) which gets them thinking about it, and even more prepared to
answer the questions.  However, the kids who finish quickly don't even need
that much time to do all that.

On the other hand, if you put the listening task first, you are cutting it
too fine - so let's say you give them 15 minutes to read the questions for
the LC at the start of the test - then what do the kids who only need 5
minutes do?  And what about those who need more? I think this is just one of
the drawbacks of the modular test (which, as I see, it - for the kids, at
least, has mostly advantages.)

Adele