[etni] Israeli and Palestinian English teachers (MECA)

  • From: "Jack Pillemer" <jackpil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "etni" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:56:38 +0200

Dear ETNI Members,
For a few years now, I have been a participant in a group of Israeli and
Palestinian English teachers who see education as vitally important to
encouraging and accompanying peace in our region.

We meet, talk, argue, listen, learn and give support to each other as human
beings. We get to know each other and, as professional educators, we try to
plan English-teaching classroom activities that may encourage pupils on both
sides of the conflict not to de-humanize the other.

Below is a more detailed description.

Any Israeli English teacher who wishes to find out more should contact the
English group facilitator.

Ora Shnabel

09-9570162

 058-817452

e-mail ? oshnabel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jack Pillemer

ENGLISH TEACHERS PROMOTE TOLERANCE AND MUTUAL UNDERSTANDING

WHO:  Middle East Children Association  is a bi-national organization of
educators working on professional dialogue and joint projects in various
directions.  Middle East Children Association  is a partnership between Israeli
and Palestinian (from the PA) educators committed to a better future for their
students.  There are 15 bi-national groups to date:  English, History and
Literature, Human Rights, Non-Violence, Civics, Pre-school, Principals and
Students, for example.  The work is conducted within uni-national groups with
bi-national meetings held according to opportunities.

WHAT:  The English teachers group is comprised of committed English teachers
who meet once a month in a uni-national format.  Last year this group succeeded
in holding three bi-national meetings to work on joint materials based on
literary texts promoting tolerance.  The English teachers' project is to
develop lesson plans and units based on literary texts, promoting tolerance and
mutual understanding, for all levels of English instruction.  These materials
will then be implemented into classrooms with feedback on the applications.

WHERE:  The Israeli English teachers meet monthly mostly in Jerusalem.
Bi-national meetings take place usually in East Jerusalem, and sometimes
overseas due to technical difficulties of arranging local bi-national meetings.
 Our goal is to meet both uni- and bi-nationally in Jerusalem whenever possible.

WHY:  As Educators, the way in which we can contribute to change, is within our
classrooms.  We are committed to helping our students develop skills to
critically think, to better listen to one another, to examine and cope with
differences, and to cope with levels of uncertainty.  We hope to thus promote
greater tolerance and mutual understanding that can be the basis of a better,
more peaceful future.

HOW:  Ora Schnabel is the Israeli facilitator of this group.  She is a veteran
teacher, trainer and facilitator who has been working with Middle East Children
Association from its inception of 1996.  Together with her co-facilitator
Kowlah Othman  from Beit Zafaffa, they coordinate regularly both the uni- and
bi-national objectives and work outline.

If you are interested in joining us contact

Ora Shnabel 09-9570162,         058-817452

or by e-mail -  oshnabel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

For an article in the UN Online Chronicle Edition written by the co-directors
of MECA, an article from the Jerusalem Post written on 6/8/2000 and for  for a
few pictures go to: http://www.geocities.com/jackpillemer/meca.htm