[etni] Internal Meitzav results

  • From: "R. Borenstein" <rachcb1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:33:46 +0300

Shavua tov.

I've just finished looking at the Meitzav announcement regarding internal
meitzav exams and I'm floored.

After calming panicked students for months, doing practice meitzav exams to
calm their nerves, ticking off my prinicipal for not grading the exams
because of the Irgun Morim instructions (which I think are bang on), I see
in black and white that the internal meitzav is meant for the school
administration and the staff to check themselves and that the results will
not leave the building.

 Why would the staff want to do that if we feel, for the reasons mentioned
in previous discussions and written in the comments of the latest poll on
ETNI, that the Meitzav is not a valid measure for testing 8th grade*
students' English? (No dictionaries...) I personally told my students that
their classwork and homework, the basis for the Meitzav, would be graded and
given weight on their report cards instead.

I can think of countless, interesting activities I could have done with the
time spent on pre and post Meitzav issues in and out of the classroom.  What
a waste all around.

Rachelle

PS - On two Canadian notes:
A. Don't shoot the messenger. Not all native Torontonians are as
thick-skinned as others, eh?
B. *Grade eight students.