[etni] In Defense of Testing

  • From: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:48:36 -0700

Here is another article that we think may be of interest to ETNI
members.

(To read the whole article, go to -
www.etni.org/news/defenseoftesting.htm )

On Seeing the Big Picture in An Age of Intricate Inclusion: In Defense
of Testing
EducationNews.org - March 22, 2005

Standardized testing is currently being scrutinized by proponents and
opponents. Could there be a "middle ground" that does not vitriolically
attack those that foster accountability yet provide an understanding
framework for those who are uneducated about children with learning
disabilities and other exceptionalities--both mental and physical?

Standardized testing is basically a gross measure of performance, used
by those who understand the mass testing of thousands, nay millions of
students, in an endeavor to screen, select, and scrutinize the growth
and intellectual development of many students via a specific testing
procedure that is highly objective, (so as to be computer scored) and
compared to the results of others of approximately the same age and
grade.

The United States is an efficient country. We try to test our children
in the same efficient manner, yet we often forget the old adage that
"one size does not fit all".