[etni] HOTS and other complex issues

  • From: lauraine glazer <lauraineglazer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 00:55:12 -0700 (PDT)

Dear friends and colleagues

I don't write on the etni list frequently enough but I read the posts every
day. Therefore, I am part of the silent majority who has not expressed an
opinion but I think my opinion differs slightly to what I have been reading.

The situation is much more complex than just implementing the HOTS in the
coming school year. There are a number of factors that are making our work
increasingly difficult.
Firstly, the ongoing Irgun sanctions (two years) which have prevented us from
doing projects with our students. This resulted in some very unpleasant
situations last year during the oral bagrut testing period when teachers had
to implement their own HOTS and a lot of creativity to test and be tested. It
is a problematic situation where the teachers have been left in the middle and
the Irgun and the MOE have not made any progress at all about resolving this
issue. I find it strange that the English department that is advocating
implementing the HOTS program for students is not using some of the same HOTS
to negotiate creatively with the Irgun and reach some sort of
compromise. That's for starters.

As far as the HOTS is concerned, after battling with my conscience, I have
decided to go ahead and give the hishtalmut in my area for next year . Firstly,
teachers have to know what they are dealing with before they start teaching,
even if the program should be revised - "forewarned is forearmed". Despite the
Irgun sanctions, many teachers have registered and are willing to learn what
the new program is all about. I think that this is legitimate. I am sure that
the program will undergo changes and adaptations because of the dynamic nature
of the teachers and the material. Even if theoretically the program should be
implemented in L1 classrooms in the lower grades, this can also be adapted for
the EFL classroom. (the first NBA hishtalmuyot were quite different to the more
recent ones that were given because it is obvious that once we start working on
a program changes will occur).

On the other hand, we have to consider the tenth grade students of this coming
year who will supposedly be taking the literature module in the 12th grade.
This is where my dilemmas start working overtime. Do I implement the program at
school? What will happen to these students if I don't? If the MOE doesn't back
down they are going to suffer and will I be responsible for them not succeeding
in their exams (or getting into med school or spoiling their chances at....)

As both an English coordinator and a bagrut coordinator I have had experience
that these sanctions always boomerang on us. One year I was instructed not to
send out the magen grades of all the bagrut exams as part of the Irgun
sanctions. Needless to say, I had to spend about 30 hours of my own time
writing them out and sending them towards the end of the summer when the MOE
didn't back down and the students would not have received their grades and
their bagrut certificates. Think of the oral bagrut last year, it was a farce.
I am afraid that the same thing will happen with the literature module - if we
don't start teaching until all the pedagogical and Irgun issues are resolved,
both students and teachers are going to suffer the consequences.

I am not presenting any solutions. I am only suggesting that we realize that we
are not only dealing with the HOTS issue - the situation is more complex than
only the one issue. I do suggest that the teachers take the hishtalmut so that
they can be prepared and they can know what they are objecting to.

Many weeks ago I suggested a meeting of as many teachers as possible with Ran
Erez and Judy Steiner. Perhaps that is to utopian. What about calling for a
meeting of all coordinators with Dr. Shoshani, Gidon Saar and Judy Steiner and
any other relevant representatives of the MOE before school starts? We are all
dedicated, professional teachers and I feel quite depressed at the thought of
beginning another uncertain year.
Hoping and praying for a good, successful and peaceful year
Lauraine