[etni] Fw:re: "book activities" and E Books - what would you do?

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 21:07:21 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: Ruthi - :rsheffer@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: "book activities" and E Books - what would you do?

I had this when we were studying The Giver this year. One of my students
(the best one in the class) brought the book on an electronic device.I was
just about to shout at him since I thought he was doing something else when
he showed me that he had downloaded the book and was reading that!
I don't see why they should not use these as long as they are reading.After
all it's the 21st century. We want them to enjoy reading not hate it and
whatever they are used to is fine by me
Ruth

Sara wrote:
> My 10th grade accelerated class had to write "book reports" today. The way
we do this is that they bring the book with them, and have one question
based on a quote from the book, and one essay on a general subject as it is
seen in the book (conflict, characters, plot etc.) / If they do not bring
the book, they can not do the assignment. this way, i hope that we are more
or less making sure that they read the book, and didn't read it in hebrew or
see the movie.
so there were 5 kids who read E Books on their  laptop/ I Pod/ I Pad
whatever. would you let them do the book report? i do NOT want them doing an
assignment with an electronic gadget in front of them - too easy to copy .
but, on the other hand, why shouldn't they read an E Book? and i am sure
that most of the 5 really read the book!   what i did was tell them (a week
or so ago, when they asked me about the E Books) that they could read them
but would have to bring at least the first chapter - printed - to class with
them, and that is what they would quote from .

has anyone else had a problem like this?  do you let your students read e
books for extensive reading? if so, what assignments do you give them?

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal