[etni] Re: Fwd: re: Ha'aretz English teachers vow to block controversial literature program

  • From: "sbshai" <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Ruthi" <rsheffer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 13:28:45 +0300

Ruthi, I have no doubt that Tessa did an admirable job, and you hit on the sore
point here -- that the 'objective' journalist chose his slant in reporting.
I'd contact him if if it could do any good, but my experience has been that
such steps are usually a waste of time at best.
I confess that I do not know what to do to ensure truly fair coverage.  Short
of paying advertising costs to have an open letter to the public published (and
that has its inherent shortcomings), I pretty much give up on the idea of the
media  presenting the issue properly.

The fact remains that I haven't seen a single article that doesn't oversimplify
the issue.
Teachers are cast into roles of good guys are pro HOTS and vice versa!

The only thing I can think of that hasn't been tried (at least, to my
knowledge, not on a large scale) is to explain our objections to the parents of
our students.  But I doubt this initiative (which can be difficult to execute)
will get us more than their sympathy, if that much.

So if any colleague on the facebook list has a refreshing idea, I'd be glad to
hear it!

Shabbat Shalom,
Batya
    From: sbshai <sbshai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: Re: Ha'aretz English teachers vow to block controversial
    literature program

    I tried reading this article from the perspective of a parent rather than a
    teacher.  Unfortunately, it emphasizes the lack of remuneration over the
    pedagogic concerns -- and that translates into bad press!  The Ministry
    official (Anat Zohar) comes out the heroine here for her declared interest
    in the welfare of the students, which by implication means that we teachers
    only care about our paychecks and workloads, not our students.

    Perhaps someone should inform the media about the whole picture -- i.e., why
    many of us don't want HOTS regardless of the money issue.  There was no
    mention whatsoever in this article of the sound point that a person sitting
    behind a desk in a Ministry office cannot have an accurate view of the
    situation in the classroom (certainly not from a teacher's perspective).
    It's simply not as challenging to come up with ideas as it is to convey them
    successfully.  (Surely we've all experienced this when planning a 'perfect'
    lesson that does not turn out the way we envisioned!)

    Moreover, anyone can sympathize with the fact that it is a futile endeavor
    to force teachers to adopt a program they are so against, especially if
    they've been successfully achieving that program's stated goals in a fashion
    that's more suited to their students.
    IMHO, we need to focus on a point that received only passing mention in this
    article -- that the program should operate on a voluntary basis;
    furthermore, it should be reassessed at the end of a specified period of
    time (preferably after I've retired!) by an objective party.

    Shabbat Shalom,
    Batya

    P.S.
    Please take a minute on Sunday to fax a copy of the protest letter, with
    your signature and contact info, to Dr. Shoshani.  Don't depend on others to
    do this for you; it may be our last chance to be heard!

    Laurie wrote:
    > Hot off the press!

http://www.haaretz.com/magazine/anglo-file/english-teachers-vow-to-block-controversial-literature-program-1.310460

  For people who like peace and quiet - a phoneless cord