[etni] Fwd: re: HOTS and literature.

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 09:31:06 +0200

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mitzi Geffen <mitzi100@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: HOTS and literature.

Hi Esther,

Saying a few words ( or reading a few sentences) about the author, if
it sheds some light about something in the poem, often fulfills the
requirement for the bridging text and context component. In the
program, you need to choose two components for written tasks - it
doesn't have to be for the bridging text and context component. In
addition, if you do the log with your students, you have a very wide
choice of what to teach from the list on the TLC site (
http://tlc.cet.ac.il/ ; - write "approved" in the search box) as well
as the option of proposing a piece that is not yet approved for
approval to your inspector.

There is no reason to bore any student "out of his/her skull". During
the entire program, as it stands, you need to introduce only 6 new
HOTS - that's fewer than 1 skill per piece. In order to introduce the
skill, you adapt your demonstration or exlplanation to the level of
your students. Look on the TLC site for some delightful ideas that
take less than a fraction of your lesson time.

I think that if you are feeling out of breath and very pressed for
time, you may be doing much more than is necessary in your units.
Consult with your literature counselor ( is it me??) to see how you
can cut down to make the program more enjoyable for you and your
students.

All the best,
Mitzi