[etni] Fwd: free thinking and free discussion

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 06:57:06 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ehrlich Family <ehrlich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: free thinking and free discussion

Dear All,

I have been following the observations and commentary that has been
listed on etni and I have found a troubling phenomenon.  Etni, I
believe, was set up to be a forum in which English teachers could
express opinions, ask for advice, look for jobs, find jobs and overall
just write freely.  However, of late, I get the impression that people
are subtly being subjected to debasements and well, frankly,
condescension.  I have even heard rumours of  censure, literally and
professionally.

It seems that there are those who have been intimidated by the
ministry, to remain silent.  I mentioned to a friend that that is not
the way things should work in this country and he laughed knowingly
and replied that that is exactly the way things run in this country.

Thankfully, I have no professional ambition.  (I actually want to
teach.  This does not mean that I don’t have an opinion.  Anyone who
knows me would know that that is far from the truth.  Would I like
things to run my way?  Of course.  Who wouldn’t?  Do I want to push my
ideas down other people’s throats?  Actually, yes.  However, I am not
in the position to do so and I would hope that if I were in such a
position, there would be a checks and balances system to prevent a
fascist regime.  It appears that what is happening with the new HOTS
program was that there was no checks and balances system in place.
(as I believe even our government does not have one, I don’t find this
surprising)  Should the pilot have gone on for a number of years?
Probably.  However, I do know a little bit about how this country is
run as far as funding is concerned.  It dries up if you spend too long
thinking.)

This does not mean to say that I am either for or against the program.
 My opinion will be addressed later.  My worry is about the freedom of
expression and how people are using/abusing that right or lack
thereof.

I turn to the ministry to put an end to censure.  I turn to you to be
appreciative of the commentary and say that you will try to address
the problems that have arisen and that you encourage constructive
criticism and that the program will be re-evaluated yearly or
bi-yearly. I want to hear the problems and not just the plusses.  I
don’t want to hear the Avi Tsurs out there coming out with only the
good and lambasting what he calls the vocal minority. (which I happen
to think is a silent majority)  I want the criticism to come from
within as well.  I am sure that not 100% of the people who work in the
ministry are in full approval of all the components of the program.
That would be a statistical anomaly.  I understand the necessity to
present a solid front when putting forward a new program however, now
that there are questions in the field, I think honest, open discussion
is possible if not necessary. People should not be marginalized.

My opinion is as follows.  I love teaching literature and will
continue doing so.   You cannot reasonably teach literature without
exposing students to HOTS and anyone who has done so, never really
taught literature.  That being said, I feel the problem lies with the
Hebrew curriculum.

I have been teaching essay writing for about 25 years and have never
found a grade that has entered 10th grade knowing how to write an
essay in their native tongue.  When confronting the Hebrew teachers
their response was that the bagrut wasn’t until 12th grade.  As a
child, I was taught about writing from first grade on up.  I still
wrote a lousy essay in 10th grade.  Writing takes immense amount of
practice.  Clear thinking is not easy and clear writing is even more
complicated.

Which brings me to HOTS.  I believe that the English teachers in this
country are at the forefront of every educational innovation or new
pedagogical approach with Hebrew departmens lagging about 10 years.
If we could impress upon the ministry to start the HOTS in elementary
school (in Hebrew) where it belongs, and to demand Hebrew literature
be taught every year and that reading books and writing reports be a
requirement of all students  and not just those in the Literature
track, then our whole discussion will be mute.  We could teach HOTS
implicitly as was done until now and test the students, have
alternative assessment in the classroom and drop the whole new
curriculum as it is being presented currently.

Adinah Ehrlich- regular teacher