[etni] Fwd: Start of school activities/ misc.

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 21:53:14 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Esther Revivo <estherrv@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Start of school activities/ misc.

Hi! Glad you enjoyed the contract; David put it up on a link on digest
 #229 which I already deleted.
http://www.etni.org/teachers/esther_revivo/Contract_esther.doc

As some folks wanted ideas for opening the year lessons, here are
some.  as I've picked up many ideas from other excellent educators.
For example :

 1- This is an idea from Rav Rami Glickstein, a wonderful teacher at
the Netiv Meir Yeshiva. I just translated his activity into English.
(This is my "first day of school" activity in high school classes that
I've NOT taught before. ) The teacher makes a list of characteristics
such as "Sense of humor," "Good didactics," "Listens to pupils," "Good
discipline," etc. I chose about 10 of these and made a stack of cards
with one quality on each card, and each quality is on a different
color bristol. (Hope that's clear:) I put piles of the different
colors around the room, and have the pupils walk around and choose the
two characteristics most important to them in a teacher. The pupils
walk around, talk among themselves and make their choices. (I have
English on one side of the card; Hebrew on the other.) We then list
the characteristics on the board and put a check for each particular
quality chosen by a pupil of the class until everyone shares what they
chose.  We talk about which points were chosen as the most important.
(It's interesting how different the results are in different classes!)
The pupils are asked to explain their choices.

2-  With junior high pupils I like to do the following at the
beginning of the year: I prepare a "shminit bristol" with my
photograph in the center and put pictures cut out from magazines
around my photo. I then ask the pupils to guess what these pictures
mean/ tell about me. I then explain what each photo represents. I ask
the pupils to prepare one about themselves under the title, "Things I
Like/ Who I Am" During the first two weeks of school two or three
pupils get up and talk about their poster: what they like to do; etc.
at the beginning of a lesson. When everyone has presented her
"poster," I collect them and make 2 large posters out of them: one for
the English room and the other for their homeroom. Note: please
reassure pupils that at the end of year they will get their
photographs back, because this has often worried pupils!

3- (Note: This can be done only in a class you've already taught
previously, or as an end of semester fun lesson:)

 I use songs (that have a message) a great deal as a cloze activity.
(This summer I received an OUTSTANDING presentation from David Curiel
who gave a workshop at ETAI on this topic. It should be up on the ETAI
site by now.)

I give out a sheet of about 25- 30 personality characteristics in this form:
Sense of humor (חוש הומור )______________________________
Knows how to keep secrets (שומרת סודות )____________________
Gives good advice (נותנת עיצות טובות)___________________________
Helps her friends study difficult material (עוזרת לחברות ללמד חומר
לימודי קשה) _____________________

I then tape one of these worksheets onto the back of each pupil. They
all wander around and put an "X" by the two characteristics they see
most in that girl. (It's fun everyone mingling, making sure they don't
forget anyone! :)  At the end when everyone has written on the back of
every other pupil, the pupils remove the pages and see what others
think about them. We talk about what surprised them about the
characteristics their friends chose to describe them. Then we talk
about which characteristics are important in a friend. Finally, we
listen to the song "You've Got a Friend" by Carol King.  (Sometimes I
play the song "Adaraba" by Avraham Fried in addition, which is in
Hebrew. It is from the writings of Rav Elimelech of Lizanzk and  talks
about looking for the good in others. Check youtube for both songs!)

Good luck to everyone this week and Shana Tova (sans HOTS :)

Esther Revivo
Ulpanat Tzvia Sedot Negev

P.S. I second Ruth's words: Rafi or anyone else: if you have any ideas
on how we can fight the HOTS implementation along with Facebook, since
many choose not to have an account there, please share like I do!