[etni] Fwd: Re: The inherent unfairness of the log.

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 09:56:51 +0300

From: Debora Siegel <debora.siegel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The inherent unfairness of the log.

Hi everyone,
I really wouldn't  want to give up on the opportunity to choose the
literature pieces I want to teach in the name of standardization.

 I also believe requiring a portfolio of literature based work (the Log) is
valid -- and I think it should be required of all students whether or not
the Log is used as the grade for the F module.

As I have already proposed, I think the oral bagrut should be the
opportunity for  the pupils to speak about their literature program and
show off their literature portfolios -- for all pupils whether or not they
are doing the literature exam.  However I think that the portfolio should
be largely creative tasks -- responses to the literature and research tasks
-- expanding on the literature -- and not have to include the other tasks
except for  the summative exams which I believe should be essays and/or
open ended questions rather than mock literature exams.

And to continue, I would get rid of the E module for the 5 pointers -- so
that one exam would include listening and reading comprehension.  The
second exam would be writing TWO essays.  One of the essays being
literature based -- questions such as - in your opinion which of the
literature pieces do you think was most meaningful;  which of the
literature pieces would you omit, compare and contrast the protagonists
from two pieces of literature you have read and so forth.  It may be
possible to make one exam with all four tasks (reading, listening,
essay) which was what the bagrut was once like...

I am not sure what I would do for 4 pointers -- since the log came to be,
they no longer have to write an essay so the difference between 4 points
and 5 points has grown which perhaps is good ...

The subjectivity of the log -- in addition to the fact that individual
teacher requirements vary considerably-- occupies my thoughts a lot. There
is really no way that the log can be an objective standardized method of
evaluation. Therefore, if I were in charge,  I would make it a requirement
rather than a module.  For example, declaring that pupils wouldn't be
allowed to take the oral and written exam without having completed the log
with a passing grade (passing grade could be 80 or more).  Teachers would
still have to hand in a sampling of logs to the ministry to make sure they
are being done properly, and the portfolio grade could become the year
grade (magen grade) for the written and or oral exams so that it would
remain an important part of their English program and would also give the
magen grade a more objective basis -- a grade that reflects the student's
efforts, commitment and ability to express himself in English rather than a
grade that attempts to forecast what the pupil will get on his written
exam.

The literature exam would then be available only to external students --
who are not taking the bagrut in a high school setting.

Food for thought ...

Shabbat shalom...

Debora
** ETNI Blog and Poll