[etni] Fwd: Learn to speak...

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 09:17:19 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Judy Givati <jesg50@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  Learn to speak...

In connection to the those of us here (41) years who still are a bit
confounded by Hebrew........

I have to admit that I, for one, am NOT an example of a lang
learner....which is great for an EFL teacher to admit ..... My
children believe that any new Oleh just off the plane knows Hebrew
better....  My principal who prides himself on correcting others'
mistakes..has decided to just roll his eyes in surrender when it comes
to me...(which means in any discussion between the 2 of us, his eyes
get tired to the extreme....)
      As a long time teacher I have learned from my students to
develop "excuses"..such as "I can't learn Heb. because I was
traumitized by the Amer.Hebrew School "system  or "There seems to be a
strong connection between being tone deaf and lang learning."  Still
it often comes in handy...actually..like when u can't figure out if a
new student is male or female..blame the fact that u don't know the
diff between "atah" and "at." Also I find that the mutual sympathy
betw weak Eng students and myself is v.helpful.     jesg

(   And I also take great comfort in the fact that when I was at
HEbrew U..the head of the School of Social Work couldn't learn Hebrew
ther!!!!!   )