[etni] Fwd: Apology and HOT under the collar

  • From: ETNI list <etni.list@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Etni <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 07:03:42 +0300

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Esther Revivo <estherrevivo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Apology and HOT under the collar

Dear Colleagues: It has been brought to my attention that my posting
yesterday came off as strident and insulting to Barbara. Therefore I
wish to publicly apologize. That was the last thing I intended! I only
wished to second her suggestion that Judy Steiner write our principals
requesting more hours in order to implement the HOTS literature
program. For,  I have the impression that some teachers (NOT Barbara!)
don't take the time (since we have so little of it :)  to write Judy
directly. I am sure she pops in now and then, but she is busy and I
doubt she reads every single post.Hence once again, I ask that each of
you dear EFL people please make time to write her!

 BTW, perhaps I came off sounding insulting as I wrote my e-mail after
sitting 5 hours checking matkonot. I was up at 6.00 a.m.today checking
other exams. And like Anonymous am among those who are less than
enamoured by this new program. I answered the ETNI poll as 'feeling
very frustrated.'  My opinion is well known here. I have taught
English with blood, sweat and tears in Netivot for 34 years to teens
from Sederot, Netivot and the neighboring moshavim. I have ALWAYS
taught and loved great literature!!! What a joy!! Teachers who
'cheated' and didn't teach lit. cheated their pupils out of a treasure
trove of culture and enjoyment!

Sadly, I will non-anonymously tell you all how I feel at this point
and time: I sense that in Tet I am teaching English as always: my
pupils are using a textbook and workbook; writing compositions;
learning songs as listening comprehensions; having debates in English;
learning grammar; doing unseens.... need I go on? I have 4 weekly
hours.  In yud however, with the measly hours I have, I taught one
poem; one short story and did projects with my pupils. THEN it was
rush rush rush to prep the weakest of my group for the B module. (This
since we make sure they have the 3 "in their pockets," before
continuing to the 4.) Like anonymous, I touched our textbook perhaps
3/4 times!!

So, I don't feel I'm teaching English there. I'm prepping for a LOG
and an exam. If I had an extra hour per week, I wouldn't love the
program, but I would feel that I could do it justice and perhaps do a
little bit of 'teaching' as I am in Tet. BTW, I've resorted to
prepping the weakest girls in my home an hour and a half per week
since we've had such little time in class to practice. Of course this
is gratis.... I'm really fed up with being taken advantage of and I'm
sure I'm not the only one. Why are civics teachers and others always
higher than we are on the totem pole? The ONLY thing I feel I get from
the Irgun is my Pesach Shai!

A Very Tired and Disgruntled Esther Revivo
** post to list - etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
** help - ask@xxxxxxxx
** David Lloyd: ETNI founder & manager
   http://david.greenlloyd.com