[etni] Fw: violence at my school

  • From: "Ask Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2003 10:33:24 +0200

From: Veteran Teacher  stillateacher2003@xxxxxxxxx
To: ask@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Saturday, November 29, 2003 10:11 AM
Subject: violence at my school

Dear Etniers,
I have changed my new email to another new email as I realized that if I
want to write directly to the list, the name I chose with yahoo was still a
bit revealing. Both email accounts are active, but this way I can write
without David having to take my name off.

I just read Esta's letter
>Just today I walked through a crowd of pupils in order to get to the bus
stop.
I wish that all teachers
could feel the way I do at the end of the day.>

And the sad thing is that I could have written those same words on Tuesday.
Not on Wednesday. The point is, I have been at my school for 16 years. Never
would I have thought that something so threatening and frightening would
happpen at my school. But it did. Without being too revealing - those to
blame belong to a small group of new students, not the other 99.9% of the
students.

I think it's important to say that many of my students have come up to me to
say encouraging words - that I shouldn't let it get to me, everything will
be fine and even  "Just tell us who they are - We'll take care of them!"
Fortunately, this last sentence was always said in a "joking" tone. I know
it's their way of showing how bad they feel about something happening to
their teacher. The sincere looks of concern on their faces is really
heartwarming.

And as much as I know that what I experienced was due to a certain group of
kids it has still left me struggling to function normally. Driving to school
on Thursday and Friday was an emotional ordeal. I don't mind admitting that
I cried all the way. Fortunately, some kids were on trips and my other
classes happened to be computer lab time so I didn't have to be "on". I hope
next week will be easier. I have 2 quizes to return and I can't focus on
them yet, but maybe on Sunday. I do know that the students will understand
and accept the delay.

As Lev said, teachers must not allow themselves to stay in schools that
don't deal with violence. We must, as a professional group, demand that
schools deal with the problem. I can't imagine a teacher in my position
having to go back to work if the school, parents and police weren't
involved. There was a mixed opinion (among teachers on the staff) about
whether I should file an official complaint or not - for my safety. Well, I
chose to file because we have to do what we can to stop this - both in and
out of schools. The school immediately called the police.

There have been some reports concerning violence towards teachers in the
newspapers in the last few days. I am NOT one of those. And I hope it
doesn't make the papers. No need for that. Just make sure YOUR schools back
you up.

Hoping for better times.
your colleague