[etni] Fw: union and sanctions

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 21:07:02 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon Tzur" <sharontzu5@xxxxxxx>
Subject: union and sanctions

Dear Etniers:

This is what I understood from reading the Hebrew announcements:

Math and English teachers will now get 2% for EACH of the three modules. (In
the past, we got 2% for the ENTIRE 3 or 4 or 5 point bagrut. When modularity
came in, principals either gave the whole 2% in 12th grade or split it
between 11th and 12th grade). This basically means a 4% increase. However, I
think we need some clarification. For example, if I take students to F in
the winter and G in the summer, will I get the 4% for the whole year, or 2%
for the first half (F) and 2 % for the second half (G). I think it should be
clear that we should get the sum for the entire year - otherwise, we lose
half of our gain right there. WE should get the 2% for any each module for
one full academic year.

The leaflet says that there was also a change in the division of HOURS of
g'mul. Unfortunately, it is just a change in the division - not in the
amount.  Before NBA, we got 3 extra hours for 4 points and 3 1/2 extra hours
for 5 points. This remains the same, split over the 3 modules. It just
clarifies exactly how the hours should be split.

The hours for LD - we will get compensation - we have to report on each
student or group with whom we "sat" for extra time or for whom we made a
tape, and for each individual student we tested orally. (The last two
categories of writing down student's answers and recopying don't apply for
English). From here, it gets fuzzy - it says that each "thing" we do (time
and hakraa for small groups - oral testing individually) is worth 1 "unit"
and each unit translates into 0.4%. It doesn't say how many students
constitutes "a small group". Anyway, would that mean that if I tested 2
students orally in December, stayed on extra time for students for 3
different classes, and make tapes for 3 students in each of three classes, I
would get 8 X 0.4% for that month?  3.2% of my salary?? That's how I read
it, but I might be wrong. I'm going to try to get clarification from the
union. IT's retroactive from the beginning of this year, so it would be a
good idea to try and mark down how much work you did. It's also not clear
exactly when we'll see the money. It will be announced.

Interestingly, the Ministry of Education document says the union didn't
agree to the terms, and the Ministry has decided to do it unilaterally but a
letter from Ron Erez agreeing to the Ministry offer also appears.
Furthermore, Ron Erez agrees that as a result of the agreement, there will
be no further sanctions regarding LD students.

Pay for Bagrut examiners has been raised to 140 shekels per hour. I might be
wrong, but I think we get the same pay when we test orally (6 students per
hour).

Unfortunately, I did NOT see the subject of projects, internal oral testing
or of the lit module mentioned. It is not mentioned in achievements and it
is not mentioned as being part of ongoing negotiations. What IS mentioned is
that the union is negotiating extra pay for CIVICS teachers, who will now be
expected to do.... a PROJECT! The figures being discussed are 0.4 weekly
hours AND extra pay for CHECKING the project. I don't see WHY ENGLISH
TEACHERS SHOULDN'T BE ENTITILED TO A SIMILAR AGREEMENT REGARDING THE PROJECT
AND THE LITERATURE PORTFOLIO. (clearly, pay for checking the project might
not be the same for both subjects - it would depend on how much students are
expected to write. However, English teachers have one big disadvantage; the
civics paper will obviously be related to Civics whereas students do papers
on a very wide range of topics in English. This necessitates reading  - or
at least skimming - some if not all of the students' sources. This might not
be necessary for Civics teachers, who are more likely to be familiar with
the sources their students will be relating to). Of course, Eliza Doolittle
would add that we should get more than someone who is teaching in the
student's native language..... The details can be worked out but I certainly
think we should expect to get a similar package.

I will try to get clarification from the union. The last I heard, the
sanctions regarding projects (not to do them), in-service training for the
new lit program (not to attend) and not to test students on our own time
individually for a school grade for the oral bagrut are still in effect and
as far as I can see, these issues have not yet been addressed. I strongly
suggest that everyone take a few minutes to write a fax to the union and ask
that the union continue to fight for our right to get paid for projects and
for the lit portfolio, just as Civics teachers will be getting extra pay for
this work. I think we should also be paid for testing our students
internally for the internal oral bagrut grade. It takes hours. Some people
do it during classroom hours, but I need every hour of classroom time with
12th grade just to cover the regular program.

The union fax number is 03-5667704. Write to Ron Erez and Nurit Valencie.