[etni] Re: Fw: teacher's license

  • From: Bari Nirenberg <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 12:03:12 +0300

I had no trouble getting a teacher's license, but I have to say that some of
the reasons you list are very GOOD reasons not to be awarded one.  This is
Israel and every teacher working in the public school system, no matter what
he or she teaches, should be proficient in Hebrew.  Even when you teach
English, you need to communicate with other teachers and with the
administration in Hebrew and parents will want to speak to you in Hebrew, as
well.  What kind of a message does it give your students when you expect
them to learn a foreign language and yet you are not even fluent (meaning
able to read, write and communicate) in the language spoken where you live?
(I'm not implying, Daniel, that you' don't know Hebrew -- I have no idea
whether you do or not).
And what's "insufficient information"?  Certainly no one expects to be
granted a teaching license based on what he claims to be true about
himself?  I hope that the Ministry of Education doesn't allow people without
proper documentation (diplomas and transcripts that include a list of
courses taken) to become teachers!  Or did you mean that the Ministry is
supplying insufficient information?  This sounds odd to me, as there are
certainly many of us who HAVE managed to get our teaching licenses (and
easily, at that).

Bari