[etni] Re: Fw: re: magen tests

  • From: Bari Nirenberg <bnirenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ask@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 19:28:51 +0300

I think you misunderstood my point and I completely disagree with most of
this.
First of all, not all the ECB books are harder than the Bagrut.  There are
some very easy unseens in some of the ECB module books and I seriously doubt
whether this is what causes discrepancies, especially since the school grade
is not based only on unseens.

Second, I don't think students refrain from downloading Bagrut exams from
the Internet because of values -- I believe it's just laziness.  I WANT my
students to practice reading comprehension outside of the classroom.  If I
give them a text as a quiz or exam that they've already done, I'm happy that
they've taken the time to practice and I don't mind them getting a higher
grade.  I believe that all that extra practice will only HELP them when it
comes to exam time.  There are so many texts out there that it would be
practically impossible for a student to do every unseen I give in advance,
but if he managed to, I'd say he'd be more than ready to take a Bagrut exam!

On a related note, in my weak class this year, I gave an "unseen" every
other week (from the practice book).  On the "off" week, I went over the
text and the questions with them (without actually answering the questions)
and I gave them the entire week to review the text and try to answer the
questions at home.  By the following week, the "unseen" should have been
very familiar to them.  This was a HUGE confidence booster for my weak
students (I'm talking about supposed 3-pointers who are doing B this year --
some of them could barely read at the beginning of the year).  All of the
students who worked with me and practiced at home are now able to do unseens
on their own because not only did they get a lot of practice, but all those
good grades made them believe in themselves.

Bari