[etni] Fw: re: different spelling rules for the same word

  • From: "Ask_Etni" <ask@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ETNI" <etni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 16:50:16 +0300

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry Silverberg" <barisil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: different spelling rules for the same word

The R  -- or other final consonant == is doubled when the final syllable is
stressed, or at least, piqued.

                                     beginning, occurring, kvelling,

                                       bothering, considering, traveling

In the word preferable, the stress is no longer on the 'fer' syllable. so it
doesn't double.

In American you say travelling, but that spoils my theory so just ignore it.
Actually I'm just guessng.  What do you think?

> From: Mrs Qundos - mrs.borntowin@xxxxxxxxx
> Is there an explanation why the "r" in  prefer is doubled when the
> suffixes
> "ed" and "ing" are added, but not when "able" is added?

** The ETNI Rag **
http://www.etni.org/etnirag/
Much more than just a journal